What is up with beast?!!

verathane
just read the last update (tues) and wth!! I tohught he was kind of freaky at supper and they were going to make up but suddenly it went gothic. I thought this comic was sort of batb pride nad prejudice but now its dracula or something!

First post!!

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Stitchlingbelle
Whee webcomic discussion!

I think it's interesting, in light of the discussion we're having of McKinley's Beauty and the other "Gentleman Beasts" that Megan's decided to go the dark!Beast route. I believe she did post about liking drama, and this is certainly one of the best ways to go about it, so I suppose it makes sense. But it says a lot about how our requirements for the Beast have changed over the years.

For myself, I love it! Bring on the gothy! Even the nicest Beasts still terrify Beauty and her father at first, and I'm always thrilled when one has the same effect on me, even though I *know* he's the good guy already, etc. It's hard to make that part of the tale fresh, and I think Megan's done it.

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Faezocarina
I agree, there is hardly cause for the Beast to call himself a monster without any monstrous qualities; it isn't enough to simply look scary. I think that the term is a little harsh for all the gentlemanly beasts and I like how things are turning out in this comic.

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Tevokkia
I particularly like the last panel, where it seems he's come back to himself and realizes that she's watching. I'm guessing he's having an inner moment of "whatever happens ... whatever I do right this instant could potentially break the possibility of anything ever happening with this girl."

Re: What is up with beast?!!

MsMegan
Administrator
I think I'm going to refrain from commenting much  in this particular subforum, unless called upon to do so, but....
*cackles madly*
Oh, my precious babies. I'll see you all on Tuesday.
read Beauty and The Beast online!

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Tevokkia
I feel as though I should be worried by this. Anyone else?

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Tevokkia
Yes indeed, apparently I should have been worried by this!

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Faezocarina
Holy shit, looks like Beauty is about to be dessert. Hopefully he's going to snap out of it in time, though if I were her, I wouldn't stick around to find out.

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Tevokkia
"Run, Beauty! Run!"

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Stitchlingbelle
Seriously, I love a Beast that actually reminds me that he's supposed to be scary.

And the panel is scary, but (don't hate me, Megan) this is one of the places where knowing the story kills the suspense for me. We all know he's not really gonna eat her.

...watch me eat crow on Friday, I know...

Re: What is up with beast?!!

MsMegan
Administrator
haha, well, I'm working with what I've got. It's some well-worn material, but I'm doing my best to fashion something stylish from it. I'm also pretty excited that there's actual discussion here. T^T you guyyyyysss
read Beauty and The Beast online!

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Tevokkia
Yeah, it is well-worn material, but I'm less concerned with what happens in the end (unless you're a fan of twist endings that make your fans scream at you, we all know more or less what the ending will be) than I am with how we get there. Throwing in moments like this always make the interaction afterward more juicy ... I do love me some interpersonal drama!

I am really curious to see how exactly she'll react to this version of the Beast, and how this will change the bit of a rapport they had going on once's he's eaten his fill and puts his clothes back on.

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Stitchlingbelle
Great way to put it, Tevokkia. And I think one of the strengths of this medium, and Megan's definitely taking advantage of it, is the ability to dwell on their interaction in such a way that we can live in it, and get new things out of it.

That said, I LOVE their literary conversations, and now I must go read Ovid. Disney's Belle was a great affirmation to me as a nerdy bookreading kid, and I love any version which celebrates the book part of her personality. It's also interesting that she's held onto that, despite the bullying. And despite the fact that she moved to town at a young enough age where she could have left her old life behind far more completely that other Beauty characters.

Re: What is up with beast?!!

Faezocarina
I think the thing with fans so in love with a story as we are with beauty and the beast is that no matter how much of it you get, you always want more. Like you say, the ending doesn't matter as much as the plot, because we are constantly searching for new material, new adventures for them to have (though, even this is quite familiar). I have a bit of an addiction to this story and this comic is my current fix.