Book Club Thoughts...

MsMegan
Administrator
Hey Gang! I have a few questions regarding ourbook club schedule. I posted regarding this over on our tumblr , too. I'd love to know your thoughts...

1)Is one book a month enough? Would a book every two weeks be a better pace for keeping conversation up? I know some of you Dear Readers have demanding jobs or young children. Would that be too frequent for you?

2)Would a monthly (or biweekly) chat room for book discussion be a useful addition? If so, when is most convenient?

3)Would a monthly novel and a monthly illustrated book be a better pairing than two novels?

4)Is there difficulty in finding copies (whether physical copies, ebooks, or the magic of interlibrary loan) of the books? How about films? Would retail links on the schedule help?

5)Smut and/or tangentially related romance novels. Do we want to go there?
read Beauty and The Beast online!

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

Stitchlingbelle
1) I like the monthly format; I think it'll be even more useful for books we aren't as likely to have memorized as McKinley's Beauty. =)

2) I'm not one for chats myself, but y'all have fun!

3)I'd love to see a monthly illustrated version, but I'm willing to bet they'll be harder to find, and potentially more expensive. But there's such a long and splendid tradition of them that I'd really love to see them get their own division of the forum, at least!

4) Availability of the non-novels is definitely going to hit some people, I think. I've got a pretty complete library, only the ebook-only ones will be a problem for me.

5)Smut... I'll read just about anything anyone puts in front of me, but if I have to pay for them, someone better have suggested them as being especially worth reading. =)

...A q of my own: for random-medium versions, like plays that I've found scripts for, operas, etc, should I just start a random discussion when I have time? Or would you like a more organized approach?

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

MsMegan
Administrator
You've got scripts?! That's AMAZING. Feel free to start discussions or post footage of any "various" versions you've got, absolutely... Do you feel like we need a subforum for that, or would it sit comfortably anywhere that currently exists?
read Beauty and The Beast online!

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

Stitchlingbelle
Actually, the plays are a funny story... I was up in Hollywood for a two-night masquerade ball, and the morning between them we cruised the shops and found one for drama-related books. I found two! separate BatB scripts and spent the rest of the day alternating reading them and sleeping. The next day after the last ball, I found out I was pregnant. What a weekend. =)

I think I'll throw them up under general discussion at some point; first I should figure out if I can find a way to share or at least link to them...

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

Rosengeist
Administrator
Stitchlingbelle I would love this.  There are some lovely versions adapted for stage.  I have a late abandoned Disney script if you are interested. :)

On that note, there are some lovely works related to the story that don't fit into the categories we have, like Marian Churchlands Beast that I'd love to discuss.

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

MsMegan
Administrator
The marian churchland one is on our bookclub schedule!
read Beauty and The Beast online!

Re: Book Club Thoughts...

Rosengeist
Administrator
I have the memory of a fruit fly. I swear. XD