A beautiful new trailer!

Rosengeist
Administrator
Sorry dears!  I've been a terrible moderator of the film club board.  (Forgiveness please, I was wrapping up my thesis and some important work.)

Anyway, we're back on track.  And BOY do we have big news!  The trailer for Cristophe Gans La Belle et la BĂȘte has finally been released!  It's a real beauty.

So let's get back to a film discussion.  Since we don't have that much of the month left, lets devote it to this trailer.  We'll resume a proper forum next month.

I'm really enjoying the direction of this so far.  I have some reservations about a few elements...the little cutesy house servants seem out of place (but may work in the overall context of the film, it's hard to tell at this point).  The close up of the Beasts mouth speaking is insanely appealing to me though, especially the way the fur moves around his lips.  Perhaps that sounds a bit aesthetically based and shallow, but I love that the Beast seems to have been designed around the actual facial structure of Vincent Cassel.

So here's a link to the trailer.  Share your thoughts my lovelies! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_COCCpWhR3Q

Re: A beautiful new trailer!

Stitchlingbelle
I freaked out so hard when I saw this trailer that I scared my daughter, until she decided it was funny and demanded I do it over and over again. Ad I'm happy to oblige. =)

I like that they seem to be telling the story pretty straightforwardly, but with their own spin that neatly walks the line between previous incarnations. They pay homage in places without falling into any traps, or so it looks.

As a costumer, I am FREAKING OUT OMG. I want one of each, please, yes my precious. But the costumes in this trailer are doing a lot of heavy lifting, so let's break it down:

--Belle's family appears to live in the Regency era...
--But the Beast dates back to the 16/17th centuries. How long has he been cursed?
--Belle's wardrobe is purely fantastical (and purely FANTASTIC)
--But the only dress that doesn't look good on her is the silver princess one. While it's the clearest nod to Cocteau, it's also apparently her first-day-at-castle gown, and seems to reflect her discomfort.
--Speaking of the break with Cocteau, Belle's silhouette at the castle neatly sidesteps identification with either Cocteau *or* Disney's versions (and the supersaturated colors help, too)

While I deeply regret the lack of books in the trailer =) I have to say that this Belle looks pretty self-possessed. I like her already. Beast looks to be a bit more of a cipher-- his flashback scene looks like a guy I wouldn't want to know (of course), but it's interesting to me that they inverted his usual line. When Belle asks who the castle belongs to, he says that it's all his-- as opposed to the traditional versions where he give Belle effective sovereignty over it.

All in all, I CANNOT WAIT for this movie! And I'm totally sourcing patterns and fabric for her gowns already. =)

Re: A beautiful new trailer!

Rosengeist
Administrator
It's like the sneezing panda youtube video, but with more fairytales. XD

Yeah, I picked up on the Regency thing too...I can say that some of those elements, at least in France, did start appearing at, actually, about the end of the 1700's.  Especially some of the sisters gowns, they appear to have some of the higher waists that were appearing on women at the time.  Men's coats were also starting to become higher collared and a bit slimmer, but not as much as here...but the film trailer also states its in 1720...which would, if they are going by European costuming at the time...actually put them wayyyyy out of the realm of either Regency or the end of Rococo/early Revolutionary French fashion.  Though, to be fair, most fairy tale/fantasy films borrow very heavily from several periods at one time, so I can't totally fault them.  It's long ago and far away after all.

Ditto on the silver dress. Maybe it's the puffy sleeves, but I think it makes her look a bit childish.

I have a suspicion that the Beast will have been cursed because he didn't love a fairy, and there are some elements that I think may be a nod to the Czech film, Panna a Natvor, such as the painting, and the scene where she see's his reflection in the wine glass.

I had not thought of that inversion, but how utterly fantastic that you picked that up!  I am interested to see how it plays out.  It could indicate that maybe when she first meets the Beast, he's still a bit spoiled, or self interested.  It could also just mean he's very intent on making sure she knows whats what in this version.  I think the scene where he's kneeling before that glowing wall is fascinating...is it magic, is he sacrificing himself to it?  Pleading to it?  Hard to say at this point.

Re: A beautiful new trailer!

Stitchlingbelle
Also, that video Megan just posted-- yay, thank you thank you thank you for that! I actually got to see that red dress that was all but unviewable in the trailer proper.

Now if I could only understand what was actually being said in the featurette bit...

Re: A beautiful new trailer!

MsMegan
Administrator
I somehow missed this convo!!

This is the reel to which Stitchling Belle refers:  La Belle et La Bete au Galaries Lafayette

yes, I'm beyond excited for this film. I'm sorry for how grainy the Lafayette footage is, but we did the best we could (we actually sat through the reel six or seven times trying to get it completely filmed -- in most takes, someone walks in and begins talking, or sits in front of me, and in one, an entire group of school children crammed in!)

I was a bit disappointed with the CG effects seeing them on a large screen -- while the Beast looks quite lovely, a lot of the environments and SFX seemed clunky to me -- natural effects weren't snappy enough for a sense of reality, and some of the more fantastic CG environments were just too lush to feel comfortable-- that said, these are pretty common problems of CG in general.

Some interesting points in the commentary reel lie in the concept art, for me -- the Beast's dining hall appears, both the final and the concept, very similar to the design of the hall in Mercer and Marianna Meyer's picture book verson. Additionally, THIS vogue photoshoot is used for scale in the dance concept!

As Rosengeist has said, this Beast looks like he's carrying some arrogance still, and our Prince certainly doesn't seem charming... I'm interested in where we go from here. His hunt seems to be quite important. Some of the Christmas windows were showing footage of the pursuit of a deer on loop (didn't film it, sorry!) alongside not one but two statues of deer being mauled, by lions or by dogs. I'm going to guess we're going the cruelty route with this one...

Stitchlingbelle, I'd love to hear more about your costuming background! That's fascinating! I understood small parts of what wa sbeing said, but my French is more or less limited to very, very basic pleasantries an requests, however... the lovely Valériane who sometimes posts in book club is a native French speaker, I believe... maybe she would weigh in?
read Beauty and The Beast online!